1. Drink more water! I suggest 8-16 ounces of water right when you wake up and at least 20-30 minutes before your meals. Water helps us stay hydrated and it is also the best way to help your body's digestive system in preparing to break down your food and carry nutrition from your food to the rest of your body. By drinking ahead of meals and not WITH your meals, you will find less over-eating and the acids in your stomach will not be diluted so your food is broken down more efficiently.
2. Shake it up for 1-2 meals a day! So simple and perfect for our busy lives right now and its more delicious than you can imagine. Meal replacement shakes such as
shakeology are a majorly scrumptious way to get quality nutrients into your day, while enjoying a low-calorie, extremely satisfying meal (plus, did I mention it’s super-fast and easy?)
3. Bring a Healthy Dish for sharing to parties or to work. One excuse we give ourselves during the holidays is to allow ourselves to engage in social eating more often than we should. These extra small bites and treats can add up quickly. So plan ahead and bring a veggie platter or make a healthy salad dressing to bring as a gift to the hostess. Give yourself at least one option at the buffet that fits within your healthy eating lifestyle right now.
3. Bake Healthier! Its a tradition to bake for the holidays, but this year try to find some healthy swaps for your favorite treats. For instance, there are plenty of recipes using wholesome, clean ingredients (like protein powder instead of flour, Stevia instead of sugar, etc.) – which can make healthy eating around the holidays much easier. For my chocolate lovers, click here for an easy recipe for No-Bake Peanut Butter & Chocolate Pie.
4. Go Easy on the Alcohol. You've probably heard this before, "don't drink your calories" and this goes for your alcoholic beverages at parties too. If you feel you must indulge, Im not saying you can’t enjoy one every now and then – just make it one, not three. If you are hosting, maybe try to surprise your guests with a "lower calorie" cocktail from this list here.
5. Sweat out the Stress. Oh yeah, when we move we release those "feel-good" hormones and so of course Im encouraging you to move more daily. This month, I have been committing to walking at least 1 mile a day--I have some friends who have set daily step goals. However you track it, get moving. I teach several VIRTUAL workouts a week, I post a schedule weekly on my facebook fitness page
JENN VOSS FITNESS. Follow me & message me if you'd like to join one of my classes!
Are you looking for a way to jump-start your fitness in the new year? I am looking for 3-5 women to join my test group for #9weekcontrolfreak This is a home-workout program designed by super trainer Autumn Calabrese and we will be doing it together as a team. As a group we will keep each other accountable.
Who is ready to get a lean belly before the holidays and new year? It is as simple as adding in a small workout called "plank a day". I created a pop-up group challenge today where we are doing the 14 day plank plan shared by My Fitness Pal and there is a lot of interest! I wanted to share some of my favorite ways to plank and the results you can get will motivate you to do them more often!! If you wan to join our group, send me a message on facebook---Im also going to share some of my best "flat belly" recipes and tips for burning abdominal fat.
The side plank, target the oblique muscles -- the sides of the abs -- and the outer and inner thigh, a modification on this would be to drop the bottom knee to the floor.
STABILITY BALL PLANK
Ball planks will challenge your balance and abdominal muscles, this engages all major core muscle groups including the transverse abdominus, the rectus abdominus, the external oblique muscle, and the glutes!
FORE ARM PLANK
Lowering down in a forearm plank will force you to engage more of your stabilizer muscles in your core and your calves, hamstrings and glutes have to work harder to hold straight line.
Disclaimer: I received a free entry to Soldier Field 10 miler as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review, find and write race reviews!
Looking for something fun and not too far of a distance to run over Memorial Day weekend? Come join me for a 10mile stretch along Chicago's lake front that takes you right into Soldier Field for the finish line!